An original native of St. Croix, Virgin Islands, Holstein got his start in the numbers game on Wall Street. After a stint in the Navy and working as a porter and a doorman, Holstein worked his way to Wall Street as head messenger for a brokerage firm. While on the street, he studied the stock market and familiarized himself with numbers. Like many poor people of the time, he took his knowledge to the gangs, earning a living by running an illegal lottery he nicknamed Bolito. By 1920, the kid from the West Indies had become the “Bolito King,” head of the most successful underground lottery system of the time.
- 2014 Academy Awards: The Absolute Best & Worst Dressed
- Comedian Sommore Wants All Black Women To Do This Next Black History Month
- Miki Howard Finally Speaks Out About Her Son’s Claim That Michael Jackson is His Father
- Jill Scott Loses 63 lbs And Looks Great! Find Out How She Did It [PHOTO]
- Aretha Franklin Forgives President Obama For Flubbing Of Her Famous Lyric
- Shaq’s Ex Girlfriend Exposes His “Small” Secrets In Court