An original native of St. Croix, Virgin Islands, Holstein got his start in the numbers game on Wall Street. After a stint in the Navy and working as a porter and a doorman, Holstein worked his way to Wall Street as head messenger for a brokerage firm. While on the street, he studied the stock market and familiarized himself with numbers. Like many poor people of the time, he took his knowledge to the gangs, earning a living by running an illegal lottery he nicknamed Bolito. By 1920, the kid from the West Indies had become the “Bolito King,” head of the most successful underground lottery system of the time.
- Umm…What?! Kerry Washington & “Scandal” Didn’t Win At The Emmys
- Denzel Washington Out Of Rehab After Month Long Party Binge
- Naked is the New Black at VMA's
- Suge Knight Shot Six Times During Pre-VMA Party
- LOCAL: Homicide on the Rise as College Hill reacts to Recent Killing
- Queen Latifah Kisses It Up With Her Girlfriend