An original native of St. Croix, Virgin Islands, Holstein got his start in the numbers game on Wall Street. After a stint in the Navy and working as a porter and a doorman, Holstein worked his way to Wall Street as head messenger for a brokerage firm. While on the street, he studied the stock market and familiarized himself with numbers. Like many poor people of the time, he took his knowledge to the gangs, earning a living by running an illegal lottery he nicknamed Bolito. By 1920, the kid from the West Indies had become the “Bolito King,” head of the most successful underground lottery system of the time.
- Hate Waiting in Line at the BMV? You'll Want to Read This!
- Ray Rice Confesses To Having Suicidal Thoughts After The Elevator Attack Became Public
- Bobby Brown Holds Birthday Vigil For Bobbi Kristina
- Out of the Closet: Malik Yoba Reveals that his co-star Jussie Smollett is actually Gay
- Ummm, No: ‘Empire’ Co-Creator Claims Mo’Nique Was Never Offered Cookie Role
- Police Investigate Alleged Kidnapping Hoax of Local Activist