An original native of St. Croix, Virgin Islands, Holstein got his start in the numbers game on Wall Street. After a stint in the Navy and working as a porter and a doorman, Holstein worked his way to Wall Street as head messenger for a brokerage firm. While on the street, he studied the stock market and familiarized himself with numbers. Like many poor people of the time, he took his knowledge to the gangs, earning a living by running an illegal lottery he nicknamed Bolito. By 1920, the kid from the West Indies had become the “Bolito King,” head of the most successful underground lottery system of the time.
- Bride-To-Be Chrisette Michele Shares Her Dramatic Love Story
- Family Talent Night: Tracee Ellis Ross Takes The Stage With Her Mom Diana Ross
- Erica Campbell Speaks On The Black Church’s Relationship With The LGBT Community
- Kobe Bryant Announces Retirement With Farewell Poem
- Sinead O’Connor Found Alive After Facebook Post About Overdose
- Paula Patton Sizzles In Vanity Fair & Says She’ll Always Love Robin Thicke
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Shares Intimate Moment With Daughter Ariah On Instagram