An original native of St. Croix, Virgin Islands, Holstein got his start in the numbers game on Wall Street. After a stint in the Navy and working as a porter and a doorman, Holstein worked his way to Wall Street as head messenger for a brokerage firm. While on the street, he studied the stock market and familiarized himself with numbers. Like many poor people of the time, he took his knowledge to the gangs, earning a living by running an illegal lottery he nicknamed Bolito. By 1920, the kid from the West Indies had become the “Bolito King,” head of the most successful underground lottery system of the time.
- Medical Examiner In Bobbi Kristina’s Death Completes Official Autopsy Report But The Courts Are Sealing It
- Empire Premiere Party With Old School Cincy! [PHOTOS]
- Michael B. Jordan Apologizes To Black Women And Black Community For Recent Comments
- Shonda Rhimes Talks About 117-Pound Weight Loss: ‘I Wanted To Be Around For My Kids’ [VIDEO, PHOTOS]
- Tyrese Is Joining ‘Empire’ As Cookie’s New Bae
- Hip-Hop’s Next Generation: LL Cool J’s Son Arrested In New York, JoJo Simmons Is Having A Baby [PHOTO]