An original native of St. Croix, Virgin Islands, Holstein got his start in the numbers game on Wall Street. After a stint in the Navy and working as a porter and a doorman, Holstein worked his way to Wall Street as head messenger for a brokerage firm. While on the street, he studied the stock market and familiarized himself with numbers. Like many poor people of the time, he took his knowledge to the gangs, earning a living by running an illegal lottery he nicknamed Bolito. By 1920, the kid from the West Indies had become the “Bolito King,” head of the most successful underground lottery system of the time.
- While You Were At Your Barbecue, Chris Brown Was Out Getting Into More Drama
- Taraji P. Henson Gets Her Twerk On In Vegas With A Few Famous Friends [PHOTOS, VIDEO]
- #BeyonceAlwaysOnBeat Meme Proves Beyoncé Can Dance To Anything
- Coupled Up: Russell Wilson Spotted Pushing Ciara’s Son Future’s Stroller
- L.A. Reid Doesn’t Think Mariah Carey Will Have Another #1 Hit
- 5 Reasons To Watch The Brand New Season Of ‘Power’