An original native of St. Croix, Virgin Islands, Holstein got his start in the numbers game on Wall Street. After a stint in the Navy and working as a porter and a doorman, Holstein worked his way to Wall Street as head messenger for a brokerage firm. While on the street, he studied the stock market and familiarized himself with numbers. Like many poor people of the time, he took his knowledge to the gangs, earning a living by running an illegal lottery he nicknamed Bolito. By 1920, the kid from the West Indies had become the “Bolito King,” head of the most successful underground lottery system of the time.
- GET UPDATES ON FERGUSON HERE!
- Solange Says ‘I Do’ During All-White Wedding In New Orleans [PHOTO]
- TV Land Drops ‘The Cosby Show’ & NBC Cancels The ‘Cosby Project’
- Ferguson Grand Jury More Unpredictable Than We Thought
- Lifetime Network Gets Blasted On Social Networks With Hilarious Memes GALLERY
- Tracie Hunter Denied Motion for New Trial....But