The justice system. We often like to think that in a great democracy like ours, we are all equal under the law no matter what our personal or financial background. The reality is, that while we may have a right to an attorney and a day in court, our judicial system is far from perfect. Too often, those with money and power can avert harsh sentences, while the poor find themselves receiving maximum time and penalties. This aspect of economic inequality — one where a 16-year-old teenager can drive drunk, kill four people and receive no jail time because he allegedly suffered from ‘affluenza’ — is one of our greatest remaining challenges. Financial disparity within our judicial system isn’t a notion of the past; it is ever present today. And perhaps nothing serves as more of a stirring reminder of this grave injustice than the very case of this teen, Ethan Couch, who has forever shattered the lives of many and received nothing but a virtual slap on the wrist.
- 513 Day Is Coming!!!
- Mo’Nique Proves Once & For All That Lee Daniels Wanted Her To Play Cookie On ‘Empire’
- It’s A Miracle: Bobby Brown Says Bobbi Kristina Is ‘Awake’
- Was Empire's Season 2 Cancelled By Fox...?
- SHOULD MEN GO TO JAIL WHEN THEY FAIL TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT?
- You Are The Mother: Sherri Shepherd Loses Maternity Battle With Lamar Sally